The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in California

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-true-theres-more-to-marriage-than-19721912.aspx

Subject:  Re: Our Lame Duck Date:  10/16/2003  8:33 PM
Author:  whafa Number:  8611 of 12907

It's true there's more to marriage than procreation and sex, but you don't need marriage if you aren't going to create children.

You don't need marriage if you ARE going to create children.

My dad had two kids with my mom while they were married, then left and had two kids with another woman but they were never married. My mom found my step-dad and remarried very before I was really aware. My dad left the second woman when he started having kids with another (a colorful life, to be sure, but I'm very happy to have my 9 brothers and sisters)

Point is, my sisters from the second woman are WAY more well-adjusted than I am. I had a great, loving mom and my step-dad was a great father. So I am at least one data point that suggests marriage is not necessarily associated with well-adjusted children.

Why should we care whether people have and raise healthy well-adjusted children?

Marriage isn't required for this, two loving parents are. The question is if they can both be the same gender and still raise a well-adjusted child. I would be interested in seeing any data that suggests this is not possible.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us