The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/toro-writes-gtgtgtgtgt-that-article-is-19732244.aspx

Subject:  Re: Phillipines Date:  10/19/2003  4:49 PM
Author:  retireearlyboi Number:  141 of 1488

Toro writes:
>>>>>
That article is 100% correct. While I am not retired, I live and work in Jakarta and once you get use to this life, you can never go back. Imagine NEVER cleaning your house, NEVER driving a car (here we have drivers for about US$100 month), NEVER cleaning the table after dinner, NEVER cooking, and dining out for two for about US$10-15 for a nice international meal.
>>>>>

Thanks Toro. I would actually consider moving there. The PPP of Phillipines shows that it's currency is undervalued by about 50% relative to the dollar. This means that the dollar goes a long way there.

Question: Would it be possible to go to the Phillipines on vacation to scout it out? Are there short term furnished apartment rentals at reasonable rates (where I won't get taken for being a foreigner?) where one could sort of check out the lay of the land? I would be more interested in leaving near the sea in some sort of beach front community. I love Thailand and am doing some traveling there over the winter. Maybe I should put The Phillipines on my list for winter travel next year?

-reb
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us