The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltso-heres-my-list-year-round-access-to-19765100.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to RWOL Date:  10/26/2003  8:35 PM
Author:  WendyBG Number:  167 of 1488

<So here's my list:

- Year round access to outdoor sports
- Low to moderate humidity
- Relatively high number of sunny days
- Urban amenities>

To that list, we added:
Cool summers (DH thinks that if you need air conditioning, something is wrong with the climate).
Warm winters (I hate the cold).
Enough water to support a green environment (I hate dusty brown; rules out desert states, like AZ and NM).
Within striking distance of a large city (i.e. within 2 hours).
Reasonably low housing prices and cost of living.

Result:
Sequim, WA.
Our 1 acre property, with 15 apple trees, surrounded by woods, cost $185K. For renters, there are apartments listed in the paper for $600/ month.

We are 5 miles from Olympic National Park, and 2 miles from Sequim Bay (visible from our deck). The Olympic Discovery Trail runs 1 mile away from our house. Small as it is, Sequim has several nice parks.

Sequim is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. When Forks got 7 inches of rain an a 24-hour period, last week, Sequim got 1/2" of rain. Sequim is a "4 Flower"-rated town, an active member of the town beautification movement.

When the daily high temperature reached over 70°F, 50 days in a row this summer (I'm talking August here), the "heat wave" made the TV news. Despite the cool summers, winter temps seldom go below freezing. I planted a garden of cold-tolerant veggies in late September, and ate my first harvest of salad today. I expect to harvest all winter, and into the spring.

Urban amenities are thin, but we are 2 hours from Seattle. Sequim and its neighboring towns, arty Port Townsend and gritty Port Angeles, do have art museums, music festivals, and theaters, as well as visiting artists (such as "Celtic Storm," which we enjoyed this week). The library is respectable.

The only thing I miss is a nearby university. There is only the local community college. The excellent universities in Seattle are just too far to attend.

Wendy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us