The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  10/29/2003  10:06 AM
Author:  ejb152 Number:  11022 of 21260

As this is my new favorite board (thank you SB for leading me into the light), I went back a few weeks and started reading posts. I soon found out that I would be better served going to the beginning and eventually catching up with everyone.

To that end, I will answer the questions from post #2 so you can get to know me better:

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?

In a perfect world, I'd have a reproduction of Julia Child's kitchen in my home, but in my world, my favorite cookware is as follows: one medium and one large Martha Stewart non-stick skillet with oven-proof handles = most used, in and out of the oven; one very old and well-seasoned 14-inch pizza pan = used so much it lives in my oven; my beloved Pampered Chef clayware = the pizza circle used so much it sits atop my stove; one very old enamel over cast iron dutch oven and one very old enamel over cast iron au gratin dish = two pieces passed down to me that are older than I am. My best suggestion for using any of these effectively is to clean them immediately after use and make sure they are well cared for and seasoned, taking special care with the cast iron bottom of the dutch oven.

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?

There are so many, it's very hard to pick, but Cumin is up there as one of my favorites, along with Coriander, Saffron, Spanish Paprika, and Turmeric. Least favorite would probably be Anise; I just never got into Anise. I love and use the Goya products, many of which are available locally. I also order spices from a Texas company called Pendery's; their barbecue rubs are to die for.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?

I lean toward Meditteranean cooking with a Latin touch, Pork Roast, Arroz con Pollo, Paella, Black Beans and Yellow Rice, rice is a favorite staple of mine. I also love to cook Italian and am seeking the best ever recipe for Braciole. I make a mean lasagne. I really love to cook everything and anything; what's mentioned here is what I like to eat. Egg dishes would be considered one of my specialties, from scrambled eggs to a variety of quiches.

I've been told I make th