The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/cleveland-is-snowier-than-chicago-dont-they-19790036.aspx

Subject:  Re: Minimum needed for ER? Date:  10/31/2003  1:04 PM
Author:  andrew61 Number:  183 of 1488

Cleveland is snowier than Chicago? Don't they both get lake-effect snow?

Yes, but most of Chicago's lake effect snow blows into Michigan and Indiana, except for those relatively rare times when there's a good northeast wind.

One of the most pleasant surprises for me upon moving to Chicago eight years ago was how little snow we get here. There've been quite a few winters where we got next to nothing while Cleveland was hit hard.

Last year I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Cleveland over the holidays, during which we got not one, but two snowstorms totaling about 12 inches each -- and I wasn't even on the "snowbelt" side of town. By March or so, I noticed Chicago's total snowfall for the season was running around 19 inches, whereas Cleveland had already had over 70 inches.

Of course, even without the snow, there are still bitter cold wind chills to deal with during a typical Chicago winter...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us