The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/emergency-fund-19799189.aspx

Subject:  emergency fund Date:  11/3/2003  9:05 AM
Author:  bheindl Number:  8779 of 35363

It's my first time on this board, so please bear with me. (Bonds also still confuse me, so I hope not to sound too unintelligent here.)

I'm looking for someplace to keep my emergency fund -- the fund with three to six months' of living expenses stashed away in case of unemployment, catastrophy, etc. (Not a place to save for a car or anything like that. Hopefully I'll never have to access these funds.)

Anyway, I'm not looking for stellar returns as this isn't something I want to expose to too much risk. My initial thought was a short-term bond fund (from Vanguard). It seemed relatively stable for long-term holding and, as a bonus, would help balance out a heavily-weighted equity portfolio. Then I came across the Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund and I'm intrigued.

Anyone offer any thoughts on the pros and cons of this Fund as a place to stash emergency funds for, hopefully, the long term?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us