The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/these-days-i-eat-almost-all-my-meals-at-home-am-19804489.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lower dining-out costs Date:  11/4/2003  9:13 AM
Author:  DorothyM Number:  194 of 1490

These days I eat almost all my meals at home. Am also nowhere near the carnivore I used to be, so even with higher food prices I'm spending less now than I was then. Over the years, most restaurant food tastes more and more like plastic (or cardboard) to me. But yeah, for a number of years, every time I sat down to figure what it would take for me to cook for myself, it came out to way more $$$ than I was spending at the time.

I rarely go to restaurants as it seems I've become much too critical about the quality of food and the quality of service -- not to mention price. I'm not interested in going out for lunch/dinner/brunch just for the sake of going out but I might grab a piece of pizza or some such street food as I do errands, and I eat each day in my company cafeteria. I'm a vegetarian and it really bothers me to pay the same for pasta and a bit of sauce (or a soggy baked potato) and a poorly cooked vegetable as my companion is paying for a slab of meat and a vegetable.

I've gone (without ever thinking about it) from cooking fancy multi-course meals with aperitifs, wine and brandy to meeting friends for coffee or tea or a concert or a walk around a museum or just a walk.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us