The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-is-a-bit-difficult-to-swipe-a-card-that-is-cut-19804882.aspx

Subject:  Re: Consolidating credit debt Date:  11/4/2003  10:29 AM
Author:  windyelliott Number:  172713 of 308686

It is a bit difficult to swipe a card that is cut up. Even more difficult than waiting for frozen credit cards to thaw.

This is true, but if the accounts are open it is easy enough to call the credit card company and request a new card.

When I was 20 I got a consolidation loan to pay off some debt, about $7000 in credit card charges. I didn't close the accounts, but rather just cut them up. When I wanted to charge something I just called the company, got new cards and charged them up again. Either that or I applied for new cards to cover my new spending. By the time I started my new debt plan I was over $30K in debt and finally had learned my lesson. Now the idea of going into more CC debt gives me hives and I am $4K away from being out of CC debt completely.

It is not enough to consolidate the debt and cut up the cards. The OP needs to determine if they are adequately tired of being in debt at all.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us