The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Investing Beginners

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-pife2u-sorrythat-was-the-shortest-19817012.aspx

Subject:  Re: need lots of help Date:  11/6/2003  1:13 PM
Author:  wcfenton Number:  5798 of 27456

Greetings pife2u...

Sorry...That was the shortest post I've ever made.

---------------------------

Let me start over:

1) First of all, I believe you should take this slowly and learn as much as you can about investment options before you change anything. Everybody seems to be an expert when it comes to someone else's money!

2) Next,I would forget about trying to find individual companys/stocks to invest in before you really have spent a significant amount of time getting yourself up to speed as I mentioned.

3) I would initially concentrate on passively managed, no-load, broad-market, low fee index funds. These type of funds can bring a reasonable return over time with a much smaller risk then individual stocks. One that comes to mind right away is Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSMX). A very good starter fund. (Try not to start off with too many funds for cost reasons if nothing else).

4) Next, I would think about which vehicle I would utilize to carry my investments. Personally, I believe that the "ROTH" IRA is the best choice. This type of IRA has a great deal more flexibility then a traditional IRA. I would study/compare the two before deciding because only you know what your long-term goals are.

5) Then, I would figure how much I wanted to invest each year and periodically (maybe once a month) I would invest into my account. (Dollar Cost Average).

6) Lastly, I would get in touch with Vanguard and ask lots of questions and solicit their help:

http://flagship2.vanguard.com/web/corpcontent/scatRetOV.html

These are very basic suggestions. I am not a professional, but I do believe this to be a good starting point for most people who haven't spent any time learning about investing. I wish you good luck!

Regards,
Bill

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us