The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Can I use a capital loss to offset Roth tax? Date:  11/11/2003  4:05 PM
Author:  andy2003 Number:  67524 of 127616

I just took a long-term capital loss on some old tech stock, and I have approx. $9k in a traditional IRA that I'd like to convert to a Roth. This is a rollover from a 401k so I never deducted any contributions to this IRA. I'm in the 27% tax bracket so my conversion taxes would be ~$2430. Can I use the capital loss to offset those taxes, or can capital losses only be used to offset capital gains or regular income?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us