The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlthere-is-my-solution-if-the-government-19840571.aspx

Subject:  Re: SS conclusion Date:  11/11/2003  10:16 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  226 of 1481

<<Here is my solution!

If the government can't make its obligations when they come do then do the following:

Pay a fraction of the benefits. Perhaps 50% if that would balance the books.

If Mr/Mrs Saver should have gotten $1700 then give them $850. They can supplement their earnings with their savings!

If Mr/Mrs Spending should have gotten $1700 then give them $850. They can supplement their earnings as a Wal-Mart greeter!

decath
>>

Shucks, I'd throw Social Security and Medicare in the dumper right now if I had my druthers. I'd be glad to see your plan adopted, if it prevented Gen X, Y and Z from being dumped on by higher taxes.

But neither solution above would sell politically. Means testing Social Security and Medicare might.

And do the well off middle class baby boomers get shafted if means testing is enacted? Yes indeed ---no question. But these are the same people who ignored the developing problem for the past thirty years or more. WE are culpable!

My priority is to protect Gen X, Y and Z from ever higher tax loads. If well off baby boomers who don't need government benefits lose them, tough. And I'm one who WOULD lose them, I hope.

Seattle Pioneer

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us