The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-grandma-is-a-good-example-of-someone-who-cant-19845345.aspx

Subject:  Re: SS conclusion Date:  11/12/2003  7:08 PM
Author:  workwayless Number:  242 of 1488

My grandma is a good example of someone who can't live on the SS with the lifestyle she was accustomed to (middle class and frugal). 6 months after her and grandpa retired, grandpa died and left her a small life insurance pay-out and pension. She refused to go back to work so she sold her home, bought into a modest retirement community and lived quite happily. That is, until she unsuccesfully timed the stock market. She quickly turned 120k into about 30k. Then cds went from paying 10% to 2%. By the time she was 75, she could no longer meet her financial obligations with the pittance of SS she got and 1/2 of Grandpa's postal worker pension.

Her 3 kids made a decision to support her with monthly checks so she would not have to change anything or go on welfare.

My grandmother ran into a similiar situation after her husband died and my family supplemented her income as well. We did it on the sly and she never knew.

I like your name 'workwayless' BTW

Thanks! I choose that handle because I'm an early retiree who hasn't ruled out working ever again--as long as it not too often and it's fun.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us