The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-ira-is-larger-right-now-theres-a-little-19850627.aspx

Subject:  Re: Traditional IRA - transfer & rollover Date:  11/13/2003  5:39 PM
Author:  going2win Number:  37812 of 76398

The IRA is larger - right now there's a little over $5k in stocks (only 2 stocks) and a little under $9k in the mutual fund. From what I can tell, they're performing about the same. I am a TOTAL rookie though, so I could be missing something...

thanks!

The Mutual fund gives you excellent diversification (I'm assuming a Total Index fund or some sort) and your two stocks give you very little. If one stock suffers a major decline that will put a real dent in your total worth, whereas if that stock was part of an index fund, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Should you sell your stock ? Personally, I wouldn't. But, I'd put any new money into the Index fund. It's fun to see if you can beat your mutual funds and picking stocks is a lot of fun too. And deciding when to sell is definitely a learning experience everyone should go through especially after the last monster Bear. (I still have JDSU in my portfolio)

Good Luck.

g2w
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us