The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Relationships / Blended Families

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-have-four-children-between-the-two-of-us--19851805.aspx

Subject:  Re: Just a thought ... Date:  11/13/2003  10:30 PM
Author:  cabinmama Number:  7 of 8

We have four children between the two of us ... my son is 17, my two daughters are 14 & 8, and his son is 5 years old

My son was 5 when we got married. He's now 17. He really doesn't remember NOT being part of a blended family, and sees DH as his Dad even though he calls him by his first name. He is very bonded to his step-brother and step-sister and her family.

DH's kids were 15 and 13 when we got married. One thing I learned: sometimes it matters less about what you do or don't do, than what your basic personality is like. My step-son, 28, and I can talk for hours about books, movies, etc.,and he will listen to my advice...my step-daughter and I get along, and I'd do anything for her, but we wouldn't "hang out".

It sounds like your future step-son will be doing a lot of adjusting, from an "only" to the youngest of 4 kids! Hopefully your kids are willing to step up to the "big bother/sister plate". Most 5 year olds have a lot of hero-worship to bestow on a cool older sib.

cm
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us