The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/question-on-401k-contribution-limits-19907528.aspx

Subject:  Question on 401(k) contribution limits Date:  11/25/2003  11:12 PM
Author:  MusicFish Number:  37987 of 76237

I have a kind of "off-the-wall" question to ask about 401(k) contribution limits.

Before I ask the question, let me give a little bit of background. I know that the "annual deferral limits of qualified plans" for 2004 is $13,000. At my current job, I am allowed to contribute between 1% and 25% of my total salary, with my current contribution rate at 15%.

I will (almost certainly) be relocating to another state in the middle of next summer; if I do move, I will (almost certainly) be changing jobs. If I do change jobs, one of my search criteria for a new company will include the ability to contribute to a 401(k) plan (or some other similar retirement vehicle).

If I do wind up with a new job next year, I will be contributing to my present plan for a little more than half of the year and to the second plan for the rest of the year. So, here is the "off-the-wall" question that I have: if I participate in two different 401(k) plans in 2004, is the $13,000 limit for both plans combined or does each plan have it's own (separate) $13,000 limit?

Also, if the limits are for both 401(k) plans combined, am correct in assuming that I am responsible of making sure that I don't go over the $13,000 limit (for tax purposes)?

Thanks in advance,
MusicFish.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us