The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/workwayless-walking-outside-only-requires-a-good-19923574.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low Cost Exercise Date:  11/30/2003  11:47 AM
Author:  Rocannon Number:  256 of 1488

workwayless,

Walking outside only requires a good pair of walking shoes

My elderly mother would like to walk for exercise, but it's difficult for her. There are no sidewalks in her neighborhood, so walking around there is really quite risky, as drivers apparently assume that pedestrians do not exist.

During the winter, even if there were sidewalks, with snow and ice everywhere, she'd probably end up getting hurt from a fall. So for some people, walking outside is not an option! This is a shame, and I hate to think that I'll be in the same situation when I get older. She's not the type of person who would do mall-walking (she'd have to get in the car and drive there, which is also kind of a bad idea in the winter. The less driving she has to do, the better, I think).

I'm trying to convince her to buy a good treadmill that she can use at home... She really needs the exercise.

As for myself, I much prefer using my indoor rower to walking. In my neighborhood, again, there are no sidewalks, and I hate having to drive somewhere for my workout. During the winter it's dark at night when I get home, and I feel uncomfortable walking around on the road in the dark. My rower was given to me as a gift many years ago, so it cost me nothing. But even if I had paid the one-time expense of $800 or so for it, I have used it so much in the past eight years that it has been a very worthwhile investment in my health. And it's still in excellent condition, so I expect it to last me many more years.

Rocannon
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us