The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-so-excited-19956606.aspx

Subject:  I'm so excited..... Date:  12/6/2003  2:13 PM
Author:  WeeBeastie Number:  1496 of 5075

I have run my calcs in MS money. I created a vast workbook of spreadsheets. I have a new FIRE date. I will be retiring in....

FIVE years.

at age 38.

I am so excited! I ran the initial calcs two weeks ago on a whim of my DH's and then went into hyperactive drive for a whole week checking and adjusting assumptions, running new calcs etc. I've taken the two weeks to allow DH and I to get used to the idea and confirm that's what we want (we will be leaving the US).

With a return on investments of 6%, and only inflationary returns on property, it looks like we will be FI in four years with a 3.5% withdrawal rate, but I'm happy to tack on another year for financial security and/or to allow for over-optimistic assumptions.

Still, I'm still reserved. There could be a massive sink-hole under the house, I might get run over by a bus tomorrow, the market might return -30% annually for the next three years, but there's a good chance we will actually be retired in FIVE years!

It's funny, even though I thought I was fairly frugal before, I'm examining every single purchase with this five year plan in mind. It's really refocused me, and I can see changes in DH's attitude too.

CautiouslyExcitedBeastie
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us