The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: High Income Retirement Date:  12/17/2003  1:48 PM
Author:  hobaby Number:  38234 of 88417

The five tax-advantaged vehicles I've always heard about are:

1. Retirement plan through work
2. IRAs
3. Annuities
4. Cash Value Life Insurance
5. Municipal Bonds

Since you are crossing out one and two it seems that the other three would be your only choices. You'd need to analyze your situation to see if any of these worked because they all have their draw-backs, the two biggest being expenses and making the money in exsisable till a certian age or time frame without penalty.

As for your specific question on the spousal IRA, I think your income level would still prohibit you from contributing. If she had earned income and you filed seperate tax returns, she could contirbute to a IRA, but that doesn't seem like a likely scenario.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us