The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: High Income Retirement Date:  12/17/2003  3:13 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  38238 of 88766

phalanx001: "My AGI is above the 150,000 max for Roth IRAs. Moreover, I contribute the maximum to my 401(k). This effectively eliminates traditional IRAs."

Not entirely. You could still make an annual contribution to a traditional IRA, which contribution would not be deductible, but which would shelter growth tax free until withdrawal.

Unless you plan on holidng income generating assets, many believe that long-term investing in equities (that you can hold for several years, at least) is better taxwise because LT capital gains receive favorable tax treatment (and you control their recognition) and dividends receive

"Are there any available retirement vehicles that provide other tax breaks? For example, my wife is a full-time student - can I setup a sheltered Spousal IRA?"

I believe that you could open a traditioanl IRA for your wife and that the annual contribution would be deductible, but please confirm the deductibility with your tax advisor. Because of your AGI, I do not beieve that she couldhave a Roth IRA.

Regards, JAFO

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us