The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / RVing Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-should-i-drive-for-a-few-hours-and-rest-for-20031092.aspx

Subject:  Re: HEADING SOUTH Date:  12/20/2003  5:03 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  1097 of 2392

Also, should I drive for a few hours and rest for a few hours and continue on, or should I pack it up after XX hours and go to a campground for a full night's sleep? I would appreciate any and all answers as I am not certain how to plan this out.

GranmaLil

Can I start out by being green with envy?

I'd let daylight be your guide. An hour or so before it gets dark pull over and settle down for a pleasant evening rather than pushing yourself in the dark. Remember, it is February and the days are lengthening but it does get dark early.

My rule of thumb is that I will travel at about an average 50 miles in an hour. I divide the distance by 50 and that's roughly how much time it's going to take. Don't know the distance from New Jersey to Fort Lauderdale (aren't I the lazy bugger) but do the math and that's roughly your travel time.

Of course, if you're taking a grandkid with you that method of timing goes out the window since there are so many fascinating places to stop and look at something that your average mileage drops to about 10 per hour.

I like Penny's reply and her tag line: 'If you're not having fun you're not doing it right' so I'd like to add this one: 'If God did not intend us to RV, He would not have invented roads'.

MichaelR

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us