The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/zsimpson-what-are-some-of-the-ways-you-folks-that-20037444.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cheap Travel Date:  12/22/2003  10:58 AM
Author:  Rocannon Number:  287 of 1491

zsimpson,

What are some of the ways you folks that travel enjoy it inexpensively?

I camp out whenever possible. For example, on my last trip to Florida, I tented in state parks almost the entire time (one night was spent in a private campground). Had a great time! I wonder if I really do this for budget reasons... I think if I were a multi-millionaire I'd still camp out!

Another thing I do is visit friends who live in foreign countries. Usually I can stay at their place, which cuts down on the expense. So I pick my travel itinerary based on where my friends are. I've made trips to Australia and France for this reason.

Finally, normally I eat out a lot when travelling. I enjoy dining out since I consider it part of the travel experience, sampling regional cuisine. But on my last trip with a friend, we cut back on this quite a lot, specifically for budget reasons. We went to the grocery store, and picked up some very cheap eats to cook back at our lodgings most nights. We ate out more for the cheaper breakfast and lunch meals, instead.

Rocannon
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us