The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-posted-this-over-on-the-retire-early-board-20046783.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ways to Cut back spending Date:  12/23/2003  7:43 PM
Author:  Sphinx8 Number:  297 of 1483

I posted this over on the Retire Early Board awhile ago in response to a fellow who said he had a great time helping out with his childrens' theater group, who presented "The Hobbit". Early retirement has given me the chance to slow down and enjoy my Grandaughters more than I enjoyed my son, who was a wonderful little boy. He got shortchanged some and so did I because I was builing a career, and supporting us as a single parent. He still turned out well thank goodness.

Here is an account of some highly enjoyable activities with my Grandaughters that cost almost nothing. The memories are priceless.

Previous Post:

I think it is just wonderful that you are enjoying the company of your children so much. There really is nothing like that magic, and the time does pass very quickly. They will be grown up with jobs so soon.

I had my little Grandaughters ages 4 and 7 over for their first "sleep-over". We had a sumptuous candlelit dinner, chicken pot-pie, vegetable stir fry, and fresh blueberries with ice-cream. Then we went for a walk in the neighbourhood looking at all the great displays of Christmas lights.

We potted up my amarylis bulb this morning, and they sat for awhile on their little chairs in front of my fireplace in the kitchen after breakfast. Then we built snow bears in the garden.

These were all very simple things, but I count myself very priviledged to be able to enjoy them, and I am very thankful that I do not have the pressures of work anymore.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us