The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-time-of-year-did-you-go-to-florida-i-like-20046865.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cheap Travel Date:  12/23/2003  8:08 PM
Author:  DorothyM Number:  298 of 1483

What time of year did you go to Florida?

I like Florida in December, before the crowds arrive. For several years during the 90's my mother and I stayed each December (before Xmas) on Sanibel Island. We rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bath fully furnished condo for 2-3 weeks, right on the beach, with a view of the sunrise from our screened porch. The cost at that time was $700/week and I believe is now about $1000/week. We ate breakfast and dinner "at home" but had lunch (usually) at a restaurant. There are usually lots of coupons in the paper for buy one dinner/lunch and get one at half price or free. There was a lot to do that was quite inexpensive -- the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, the Corkscrew Swamp, just walking along the beach, watching the sunset. Florida always has good deals on car rentals and really good garage sales. Airline fares were good -- a senior ticket for my mom and a reduced price for me b/c I was accompanying her.

Sanibel might not be your "cup of tea" but having an apartment is a nice way to spend a few weeks and is probably possible in other parts of the country.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us