The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/welcome-diane-the-board-doesnt-get-a-lot-of-20093014.aspx

Subject:  Re: What percentage of gross? Date:  1/3/2004  10:22 PM
Author:  peteyperson Number:  1651 of 5069

Welcome Diane,

The board doesn't get a lot of traffic but the posts are usually of high quality. I personally think that's a lot more valuable.

Petey

Hello all,

I just found this board today, and in my first 5 minutes of reading it, I ran across a post by ChocoKitty in which she said she is only putting about 20% of her gross away for retirement. (Chuckles about how only a FIRE wannabe would lament saving only 20% were also included).

CKs post got me wondering...what percentage of gross income are all of you saving towards retirement/FIRE? I am personally putting 14% of gross into my 401k at this time, with plans to increase my retirement savings anytime I get a raise, and further increase them when I've paid off my CC debt. I don't have a particular percentage goal in mind at this time since I'm really trying to focus on some other items first before I hit FIRE super-hard.

How about all of you? How much are you currently saving towards retirement, as a percentage of gross? How much would you LIKE to save towards retirment as a percentage of gross? (If you are already retired, let us know what percentage you saved during your accumulation stage).

Looking forward to responses,

d

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us