The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-always-used-a-rewards-credit-card-for-20095471.aspx

Subject:  Re: Back to Basics For Me Date:  1/4/2004  5:25 PM
Author:  flipstress Number:  1677 of 5186

I've always used a rewards credit card for virtually all purchases, but I'm wondering whether I'll spend less using cash (studies apparently show one does).

Hi, WeeBeastie. I, too, use reward credit-cards. I have also read about what you're saying--that the use of credit cards encourages one to spend more. At first, I was a little skeptical about that applying to me. I thought that I was different from most people and that I can control myself.

For a while, I was buying I-bonds with them. Then, I started putting groceries, gasoline, postage, any purchase that allows credit cards to earn more cash back. I've found that the justification of earning cash-back rewards makes it very easy to whip out the cards and spend more. So now I intend to write out most payments by check so that they're more of a pain that I'm aware of, reserving credit-card use for online and big occasional purchases.

Thanks for the wishes, and good luck to you, too!

flipstress
not really a masochist, just working towards FIRE

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us