The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/me-10-401k-3-401k-match-10-stock-purchase-plan-20102827.aspx

Subject:  Re: What percentage of gross? Date:  1/6/2004  3:30 AM
Author:  FoolStreet Number:  1721 of 5084




Me

10% 401k
3% 401k match
10% Stock Purchase Plan
2.5% taxable account from y.e. bonus
5% amount to pension

~ 30%

BUT, wife asks that each year we take 1/2 of the stock purchase money (or 5%) on house stuff, so my retirement savings is really closer to 25%.

Wife

15% 401k
3% 401k match
10% Stock Purchase Plan
5% Pension

=38% (or 33% to retirement savings)

Lets just say that averages out to 28% of our combined retirement savings. Now, technically, we also put about another 4% of our combined income against principal in our mortgage each month. So, that puts us at about 32%.


Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us