The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sb-whats-funny-is-at-the-time-i-owned-each-of-20117487.aspx

Subject:  Re: What have you owned? Date:  1/8/2004  2:15 PM
Author:  wecoguy Number:  30388 of 71123

SB - What's funny is, at the time I owned each of those old cars, we had no sense of how much of a classic they were, but I just liked them for what they were, decent looking and got me around.. I had rebuilt the '57 Chev, 283" so it ran out nice, not a screamer, but good.. And I still remember in those days how many generator end plates that wore out, starters that crapped out, batteries that died.. today's vehicles are a lot more reliable, unless I think about this current '95 Chev's early days..

But as I noted in the beginning, it would have been great to have a warehouse to tuck them all away for a future rebuild.. No time or money at that time..

The Enfield was a $20 basket case when i got it from a "friend".. primary side main shaft was marfed badly, so I had to find the part, then split the wheels and get it all back together.. Front end was a springer setup, dampened by some friction plates.. another rigid frame.. but fun to ride, I had a 4" megaphone on it, so kept the neighbors in tune to where I was.. No lights, other than a brake light..

The K model was the early Sportster, I'm 6'2" and in those days a lot thinner, but it did fine by me, other than the tranny.. there had to be an alignment flaw somehow, after the third blowout of gears thru the bottom of the cases, I gave it up, traded it for a Bates seat and a small Jones tank for the T110.. I'd found a set of track cams, instead of a point att he top of the rise, they were a lot wider, longer duration.. what a difference but then trying to find a clutch for it that would hold was a problem.. So in the end I gave it up.. It is also a very valuable bike today..

The big Ford 6's, 7 mains, were strong engines, but pulling the trailer in the mountains almost killed it a couple times, but another fun project.. Needed that 460 in there!

weco

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us