The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/not-many-im-33-1988-toyota-starlet-4-speed-or-20120497.aspx

Subject:  Re: What have you owned? Date:  1/8/2004  9:54 PM
Author:  Leese1 Number:  30399 of 71040

Not many--I'm 33.
1988 Toyota Starlet 4 speed (or was it 5?)
My brother and I shared this car after my parents were done with it. Believe it or not, it was the family car for a while. Gas gauge was broken so we estimated--guess who got stuck on the side of the road a few times? We still talk fondly about that car. You could park it anywhere.

1988 Hyundai Excel GL 5 speed
I bought this 2 years old with 36,000 miles. What a crappy car. However, it lasted me 8 years with minimal maintenance. Got me from Maine to Toronto and back twice! Also made it to Florida and back--thought I was going to die on the New York State Thruway. Had a sunroof which got smashed twice and I replaced it via the junkyard both times.

1998 Saturn SL1 5 speed
My first new car. Only has 40,000 miles and my husband drives it mostly now. I thought it was a good value for the price. Not as well built as Honda or Toyota, but average. Kind of sucks in the snow.

We also have a 1991 Honda Civic LX 5 speed with 80,000 original miles. Bought it with 69,000 miles 2 years ago when we desperately needed a car. Husband's 1988 Chevy Celebrity (no comment) finally died and we didn't have a lot of cash but I knew what we needed. We love this car--it's been nothing but dependable, gets great gas mileage, even came with 4 Hakkapelita snow tires, and it was only $3000. I put in a CD player and new speakers to replace the original Honda AM/FM. I can see why people love Hondas. It even has power windows and cruise control--more than my Saturn has!

Leese1
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us