The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ill-tell-you-how-we-found-our-church-its-a-20122521.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date:  1/9/2004  9:56 AM
Author:  DaveandBeckyz51 Number:  104739 of 196934

I'll tell you how we found our church. It's a long story. . .

Some other time I'll tell you about a prophetic dream that helped my husband know which job to take. That's another long story.

Andrea!

You MUST KNOW I LOVE stories! The longer the better!

But here's what impressed me the most: the pastor gave an altar call for people who wanted help or prayer for any reason, and PEOPLE ACTUALLY WENT FORWARD! I had grown up in a church that did that every week, and could count on my fingers the people who actually responded. And here, it seemed the normal thing to do. Amazing!

Now you are talkin! I remember that first altar call, too! I had been going to a Baptist Church that had at LEAST 10 min. altar calls (in the 20 min. sermon) every Sunday. In 8? years, one person came forward (Praise GOD!!) and 2 people came forward for prayer (Praise God, AGAIN!). I was amazed, when our wonderful pastor left (because the Elders decided they weren't responsible for all the children he had chosen to have (6) and refused to pay for their Christian School education.) and the guy they picked to replace him gave LONGER altar calls!! Lots of theatrics, too. No one ever went foreward for him. And there I sat watching ALL these people coming up for prayer!! And salvation! Every week--people coming to Christ! I knew the Holy Spirit HAD to be there.
Same with the Praise and Worship. It was for me!

One other, very important thing. Church isn't just what you can get; it's what you can GIVE. DH and I have had many opportunities to serve in our church, such as volunteering at a homeless shelter/rescue mission downtown. I think you learn more from giving and serving than anything else.

Amen to that too! Also, I was beyond shocked at the money given! Came to find out most tithed AND gave more to special offerings! We built our first Church without debt! CASH. Paid for as we went. And never, that I saw, did anyone have financial emergencies that weren't taken care of by one special offering! These were NOT wealthy people. Just cared about each other. I'm LOOKING AGAIN!! Your prayers are needed, though! I'm in a rural setting and Churches are few --not much variety. I'm not that fussy. Just want good people who love the Lord AND me?

Thanks for the story!
Becky

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us