The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-the-responses-i-think-you-guys-were-20135165.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401(k) allocation Date:  1/11/2004  5:09 PM
Author:  KernelSanders Number:  38468 of 76082

Thanks for the responses. I think you guys were able to confirm my suspicion that I should not throw all of my contribution into the index fund, contrary to the general notion of this site's articles. I do have a stellar active fund at my disposal, so I will tinker with the percentages, probably 50% index, 30% legg mason value, 10% Columbia real estate, and 10% international. I guess I now have to pick between the 3 internationals. 2 are large cap and one is small. Maybe i will subdivide that 10% into small and large cap international. I will have to review their prospectuses again.

The other major decision to make is what % of my salary to defer. I am tempted to front-load my contribution so that the money has more time to grow in the market. Dollar cost averaging is appealing, although I feel that, all things being equal, it would be better to get in sooner than later.

Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks!

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us