The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-will-tinker-with-the-percentages-probably-50-20140457.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401(k) allocation Date:  1/12/2004  4:02 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  38483 of 74759

I will tinker with the percentages, probably 50% index, 30% legg mason value, 10% Columbia real estate, and 10% international. I guess I now have to pick between the 3 internationals. 2 are large cap and one is small. Maybe i will subdivide that 10% into small and large cap international. I will have to review their prospectuses again.

Sounds like a good plan :-)

I agree with what Sunray said--I frontloaded my contributions one year and it turns out that my firm matches the first 3% based on the gross of each paycheck. IOW, when my contributions maxed out, I missed out on the matching 3% for all the remaining paychecks. OUCH! So now I make sure that I'm contributing at least 3% of each paycheck. If you're up to the calculations, and based on how your company determines its matching, you could contribute more at the beginning of the year, but ensure that you still have enough left to take advantage of the full match later in the year.

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us