The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-use-floor-filler-on-my-cement-floors-however-i-20142471.aspx

Subject:  Re: First tile job coming up! Date:  1/12/2004  10:06 PM
Author:  millerpim Number:  44537 of 129273

I use floor filler on my cement floors; however, I suggest first lay a four-foot level on the floor (if you have room, or else a two-footer) to see where it's off. You don't want to end up in the doorway an inch off the floor, know what I mean?

After I've applied the filler, the kind that dries within a few hours, then I spread the adhesive (not the grout), pull a trowel through it, butter the back of the tile with adhesive and set it in place. After a few are laid, I use the level to make sure they are level, because when you reach the spot where it is lower, you will be, in essence, floating an area of tile on the adhesive. You don't want to float more than a half-inch or so, although, I have done it an inch thick without problems, but probably because I'm lucky.

I just finished a 25-foot family room that ended up an inch higher than the center of the room. At one time, I think it used to be a porch; hence the slope toward the door. It was a royal PITA to lay. But of course now it looks great so the frustrating memory is beginning to fade. No wonder mothers have more than one child.

elizabeth
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us