The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bc-said-quotit-would-seem-to-me-to-be-better-to-20145789.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bad Vanguard Experience Date:  1/13/2004  2:08 PM
Author:  billjam Number:  38514 of 76079

B=C said "It would seem to me to be better to limit the time between transactions absolutely (say via a fee or prohibition on excessive transactions) rather than via an annoyance factor.

I am very glad that my 403(b) through Vanguard does not have the same restrictions."

That's interesting. Last week I asked the rep if they put the same restrictions on someone buying Vanguard funds through ScottTrade or another outside party. He had no idea.

My suggestion was that they allow individuals to exchange online as often as they want up to a specified dollar amount. That would solve the problem for someone like me who wanted to dollar cost average from one fund to another without allowing market-moving volume. Of course I knew this guy had no authority to do anything, but he didn't even offer to pass my suggestion up the ladder.

Have to say after 23 years with Fidelity and over 15 with Vanguard, if you count the years in 401k, I'm much more impressed with Fidelity's people vs. Vanguard's. Fidelity reps always seem more knowledgable and more willing to help even when it requires extra effort on their part.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us