The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-checked-with-hr-and-apparently-the-matching-20146002.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401(k) allocation Date:  1/13/2004  2:49 PM
Author:  KernelSanders Number:  38517 of 74759

I have checked with HR and apparently the matching is done on an annual contribution basis at the end of the year. So I do not have to worry about missing out on the match. Given the condition of the market today, and weighing in with any additional foresight, does anyone have a stong feeling that I would do better with dollar cost averaging rather than making several rather large contributions towards the beginning of the year? (i imagine it will take 6 months or so to max out the contrib. limit) My general feeling is that it is best to just make as large of a contribution as possible now, and let the market do the hard work of making money. Any more thoughts on this? In a sense, it is an attempt to predict that the market is going to continue the general upward trend that has been going on, and therefore neglect the advantages that DCA would bring if the market slumps at any point this year.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us