The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-friends-that-put-ac-in-their-pre-1940s-20150995.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cost of Installing Central Air Date:  1/14/2004  12:23 PM
Author:  Catleen Number:  44648 of 128619

I have friends that put a/c in their pre 1940s house. It was after one horrible hot summer. In fact it was one of those summers where you barely moved it was so hot. The house was nice but boy, was it hot. I told them that if they ever wanted to sell the place the lack o a/c would really give them a problem. That next winter they installed. It was a 5,000 sq foot house and cost them about $20,000. The installation was not easy but worth it.

The technology didn't exist before that time to install a/c without ruining the integrity of the house.

It was the best thing that they have done.

You could always install on section/unit at a time and put room a/c units in until you are ready to do it all.

Oh yes, that included the ductwork, the updates to the electrical system which had to be done, the actual systems. I believe the duct work cost the most because it was labor intensive as the ducts had to be run through out the whole house.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us