The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-dont-have-an-alarm-system-but-perhaps-we-20176066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brinks — is it worth it? Date:  1/19/2004  8:11 AM
Author:  KBecks Number:  44817 of 129264

We don't have an alarm system, but perhaps we should consider one.

Our house is in a small, quiet town, on a small, quiet street, with severl retired neighbors that are out and about during the day. Oh, and my neighbor across the street works for the sherrif's department. So I have felt save. (But interesting, that neighbor has an alarm on their house!)

Oprah had a show on burglary and it made a good point -- an alarm system is only good if you USE IT. And, for maximum safety, you should use it WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME as well as when you're away.

She interviewed a retired burglar who said that most people with alarm systems don't bother to have them on when they're at home -- and that a burglar could easily slip in undetected when the owners are there. (In a two-story house.)

I honestly believe that the McMansion subdivisions may be higher targets for crime than our sleepy little village. I have heard of rapes in the summer in some of the newer subdivisions. Now that's scary.

Now thinking about an alarm system --- but personally, I don't like them, and thankfully, have never been a crime victim.

FYI,
KBecks
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us