The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Single Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/kids-and-visits-20179724.aspx

Subject:  kids and visits Date:  1/19/2004  7:51 PM
Author:  knitmom Number:  665 of 681

I vote for the suggestion 'whatever is in the child's best interest' -

...and I would think it would be Dad driving 3 hours, getting involved in the child's world/friends/activities and not the other way around. I got that argument from my ex, and I supported the kids visiting every other week-end, even drove one of the ways, and then my kids became teenagers, and he got sullen, grouchy young teens that had their own plans and friends, and going to Dad's to hang around, sometimes when Dad was working and not even there, well, it didn't agree with me either.
Unfortunately, I handled a conversation about this situation very poorly, and now it's between the kids and their Dad, I backed out completely. He felt I didn't support him. Little did he know, my support was always with the kids, where it should be. And honestly, it was about time for there to be direct communciation.

At 6, you'll need to speak for your son. It's hard to counter a father, is for adults, much less teens and children! Good luck,

Knitmom

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us