The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees


Subject:  Re: Retiring to Scotland Date:  1/20/2004  6:22 PM
Author:  Nils44 Number:  1824 of 5224

<Only amounts over $80,000 are subject to US tax. I don't need that amount for ER.

Anyhow, I'm not a US resident alien (for immigration purposes; obviously I am for tax purposes). At the current rate of processing, I should get my green card in 10.5 years, so there's nothing to worry about there! :D


But doesn't the $80,000 only apply to income that was actually earned from working? In other words, capital gains, interest and dividends would still be taxable?

Good luck with your move to Scotland. It is a very beautiful part of the world. Having visited it before, I found the people VERY friendly.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us