The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees


Subject:  Re: Retiring to Scotland Date:  1/21/2004  2:13 PM
Author:  WeeBeastie Number:  1825 of 5232

But doesn't the $80,000 only apply to income that was actually earned from working? In other words, capital gains, interest and dividends would still be taxable?

Possibly. The tax treaties can be quite obscure, and it looks like a resident of the UK does not have tax withheld on any income. I won't actually be resident here at all, and I won't be a citizen so it's pretty much a moot point. Even if my greencard comes through, it's only valid for 6 months after I terminate work so I'm no longer a resident of any sort in the US (for tax or immigration purposes).

Good luck with your move to Scotland. It is a very beautiful part of the world. Having visited it before, I found the people VERY friendly.

Thanks! It's a while off yet, and there's plenty that can go belly up between now and then!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us