The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/meowmixx-you-wrote-our-house-that-well-be-20196644.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brinks — is it worth it? Date:  1/22/2004  2:58 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  45021 of 128652

meowmixx,

You wrote, Our house that we'll be moving into has the Brinks security system already installed and I'm thinking about getting it activated when we move in.

Only thing is you have to sign up for three year contract and pay about $28 a month. Is it worth it? Has anyone used it?

Congrats on the Hot Topic.

I think an alarm system is certainly a worthwhile investment. Monitoring maybe marginal depending on where you live. I think it's worthwhile where I live.

I was paying ADT about $28/m until recently. I also own my own system. ADT decided to raise the rate to $32/m, so I shopped the service around and got a rate of $20/m plus tax. ADT offered to match it; but I declined because I figured they would just raise the rate back in 6 months. You know, I would pre-pay the entire 3 year contract, if they would give me a nice, deep discount. Maybe I should ask them.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us