The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-with-jay-we-have-the-battery-backed-security-20198555.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brinks — is it worth it? Date:  1/22/2004  7:51 PM
Author:  Buffie100 Number:  45039 of 128933

I'm with Jay. We have the battery backed security system, stickers on windows and doors, alarm co. signs on both sides of the driveway so they won't miss it - and one at the top. Motion lights all around the house, high up on the peaks front and back,and a big dog, a golden retriever that is gentle but doesn't like people approaching the house - even barks at our neighbor if he doesn't show his face often enough! That's another thing....we have perimeter dog containment and have the sign right next to our security company sign at the end of the driveway, so they KNOW we have a dog before they ever drive up. Since our walkout basement is under the deck on the side of the house, in addition to a motion light on the peak, we've added a motion light on the wall, and security film on the doors. And while we're on the subject of doors....sliders, no matter how sturdy, can be lifted out of the track. Simple pins that go through both doors will prevent both opening and lifting them out. One thing that I didn't think of was our garage. When we moved here, we had no shades on the door or the window. It was a routine call by a repairman, saying that he looked in the window to see if our car was there that sent me to Home Depot to purchase simple shades. Our garage door also has a sliding lock on either side which makes it impossible to lift with our without power. We use those when we travel since, as mentioned before our security co. told us most burglars enter from the garage, fill the truck and then drive away. Hope this helps everyone think safety! Buffie100
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us