The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-i-have-two-dogs-i-didnt-get-them-for-20209062.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brinks — is it worth it? Date:  1/24/2004  6:09 PM
Author:  TheBreeze Number:  45146 of 128282

1. I have two dogs. I didn't get them for security, I got them 'cuz I wanted pets. They have the playful bark they use with me, but when the doorbell rings or they see someone "suspicious," the bark is very different, and more than a little scary. If someone were intent on breaking into my middle class home, I'm sure they could circumvent the dogs just like they could an alarm, but the two dogs put my house in, like, the 95th percentile of hassle to rob.

2. If just the doors and windows are wired for alarm if opened, think of this:
-Most homes have walls with siding, 1/2" of plywood, insulation, and 1/2" of drywall between outside and inside. If you can squeeze through the 14.5" space between wall studs, you can get through a wall.
-Most homes have roofs with shingles, tar paper, 1/2" of plywood, insulation, and 1/2" of drywall between outside and inside the living space. If you can fit through the 14.5" or 22.5" space between rafters, you can get through a roof.

3. An alarm would frighten off a rational thief, but maybe not one who was high. A gun or dog would be of use against either. Since I don't care to have a loaded gun around my small children (and an unloaded one isn't much use), we're back to the dog discussion.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us