The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less


Subject:  Social Security offset Date:  1/25/2004  12:19 PM
Author:  sierrasprings Number:  311 of 1845

I am not sure this is the most appropriate board for this post but I did not find a SS related board. Anyway, if you retire before your full retirement age and continue to work and earn more than is pemitted then an offset against SS benefits is triggered - $! for $2, and so on. My question is, when you do reach full retirement age, or if you discontinue working before you reach full retirement age and are drawing SS, is the money you lost by initially working ever recoverable, made up by adjustments to future ss benefits, or paid back in later non-working years?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us