The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees


Subject:  Re: Retiring to Scotland Date:  1/26/2004  3:17 PM
Author:  Hyperborea Number:  1851 of 5232

Not that you care, but you piqued my interest on US residents and what exactly the definition is for tax purposes. Knowing my luck, my greencard would come through the week before I leave, and I'd be subject to US tax for 10 years!

No, you're thinking of the ex-pat tax laws or confusing them with tax residency. You need to have been a legal permanent resident (green card holder) for 8 of the last 15 years to be snared by the ex-pat tax laws. I've checked this carefully and my early retirement goal should be reached a good amount of time before I become enmeshed in these laws.

For more info check out -,,id=97245,00.html

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us