The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fidelity-reps-always-seem-more-knowledgable-and-20220891.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bad Vanguard Experience Date:  1/27/2004  5:54 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  38759 of 75800

Fidelity reps always seem more knowledgable and more willing to help even when it requires extra effort on their part.

Usually. They have had my 401k (and now my IRA) for many years. No real complaints, but several years ago, while I was in the workforce and still in the company's 401k, we were allowed to occasionally make a few changes among the funds offered. I carefully considered one change and called it in -- only to find, a week later, that it had not been made! Meanwhile, the very thing I had foreseen had happened: my OLD fund had dropped, and the new one I wanted to be in was up!

With my confirmation number at the ready, I called, got a rep, complained, and was promised it would be corrected in a few days.

Another week went by and still no change! I called again, asked for a supervisor, same discussion, same apology, same promise.

Week three goes by, and STILL nothing! Called again, again asked for a supervisor, who promised "in a week or so".

"Not good enough," I told him. "I want that change made NOW and my losses/gains corrected, as well, by next TUESDAY (this was Friday of the previous week). If it's not done by Tuesday, one letter will go to the New York Times and another to the SEC about how poorly Fidelity treats their customers! Might that help?"

He stuttered, stammered, promised it REALLY would happen this time -- and it was.

Threats may work sometimes.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us