The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-summary-order-of-importance-1-emergency-20230656.aspx

Subject:  Re: Contributng Too Much towards Retirement??? Date:  1/28/2004  3:08 PM
Author:  FuskieFool Number:  38793 of 75791

In summary, order of importance:
#1--emergency fund/credit card debt
#2--401k to company match maxiumum
#3--Roth IRAs
#4--taxable accounts

I would revise this as follows:

1) eFund (build up 3-6 months expenses in case of sudden loss of income). This neccessitates your creating a budget to see on what you are actually spending money. I recommend an ING Direct Orange Savings (2%) for risk-free access.

2) 401k up to company match (10% at $115/wk for you). If there is a company match for DWWT (Dear Wife who Teaches), then factor that in. If not, DWWT may want to put in a minimum amount just to say she is participating.

3) Fund Roth IRA $3000 ($57.69/week each). If your Roth account has transaction fees, put it into an ING Direct Orange Savings account (2%) until you accumulate sufficient funds to invest.

4) I am guessing your kids are young. That won't last long, so consider opening 529 for each of them to prepare for their college education.

5) Do you rent? See a new car or home in your future? Consider an Freedom Fund (fFund), which like an eFund, is money sest aside for a future major purchase. If the purchase is a few years away, consider a high yield bond fund or other low-risk investment.

6) Now we go back to your 401k. Fill'er'up! If you don't need it to save or spend, put it into your future.

In general, I would steer clear of taxable accounts unless you have this uncontrollable need to pay taxes. Hope this helps.

Fuskie
Who believes all investments should focus on your goal of future happiness and financial security...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us