The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/some-more-info-we-have-a-529-plan-started-for-20230793.aspx

Subject:  Re: Contributng Too Much towards Retirement??? Date:  1/28/2004  3:31 PM
Author:  patsfan24 Number:  38795 of 76421

Some more info...

We have a 529 plan started for our two year old. Nothing for our nine month old daughter yet.
DWTT's 403B does not match at all
We have only about one month's expenses saved (actually just sitting in a checking account) for emergency.
We own and our mtg is about $1500 per month.

So, if I'm not particularly thrilled with her 403B investment options (which is the case), considering no matching, should we take that money, post taxes, and start contributing to the IRA's again.

BTW, I think I'm going to transfer the IRA's which are currently in some AMEX funds (bad decision) to Vanguard 500 or Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund). Any comments on if this sounds like a sound decision?

Also, sounds like I need to start stashing money away for emergency. That advice seems to be common no matter who is posting.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us