The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-if-im-not-particularly-thrilled-with-her-20231796.aspx

Subject:  Re: Contributng Too Much towards Retirement??? Date:  1/28/2004  6:03 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  38800 of 75833

So, if I'm not particularly thrilled with her 403B investment options (which is the case), considering no matching, should we take that money, post taxes, and start contributing to the IRA's again.

DON'T do anything to incur taxes. If necessary, leave what's in there in there, and just don't contribute any more--contribute to a Roth instead.

I think I'm going to transfer the IRA's which are currently in some AMEX funds (bad decision) to Vanguard 500 or Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund). Any comments on if this sounds like a sound decision?

Are you talking about transferring the accounts to Vanguard and then investing in the Vanguard funds? If so, sounds good to me. I would recommend the Vanguard Total over the 500.

Also, sounds like I need to start stashing money away for emergency. That advice seems to be common no matter who is posting.

When I was 33 nothing had happened to me yet, unfortunately, as time went by, stuff started happening! When you're already in one crisis (lay-off, car accident, surgery, disability and whatever other stuff I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) you don't want to have to deal with the crisis of maybe losing your house. You'll sleep better knowing you can pay that mortgage and other basic expenses for at least six months out of your e-fund.

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us