The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fcorelli-asks-you-couldnt-pay-me-enough-money-to-20232512.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rent vs Buy Date:  1/28/2004  8:28 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  38810 of 75540

FCorelli asks,

You couldn't pay me enough money to put up with the hassles of owning a single-family home or a condo.

intercst

Ok then, I have a question. I am like intercst: A lifelong renter (except for a very labour intensive country house in upstate NY many yrs ago)

I do like the simplicity of renting BUT I am getting a little sick and tired of the genetically loutish behaviour of almost everybody else who rents! Not necessarilly loud parties and such but just constant door slamming, foot stomping, and the other not so subliminal messages that make me aware of he presence of people I should not be aware of. (And this is a pretty upper scale type of place)

What hassles are there in owning a condo? Other than the obvious ones like you have to fox your own leaky faucets and such.

Leaky faucets are the least of your concerns.

I'd be more worried about the type of people who end up on the Board of Directors of your condo's Homeowner's Association. The anal-retentive types that are usually attracted to these positions of power can be every bit as loutish as your "rental" neighbors. And, of course, if you decide to leave, selling a condo is more expensive than waiting for your apartment lease to expire.

intercst

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us