The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-do-like-the-simplicity-of-renting-but-i-am-20233777.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rent vs Buy Date:  1/29/2004  5:59 AM
Author:  activeREinvestor Number:  38817 of 75383

I do like the simplicity of renting BUT I am getting a little sick and tired of the genetically loutish behaviour of almost everybody else who rents! Not necessarilly loud parties and such but just constant door slamming, foot stomping, and the other not so subliminal messages that make me aware of he presence of people I should not be aware of.

1. Look into moving to a better location

2. Consider a building that is made up of townhomes or condo's. One that is majority owner-occupied.

3. See if you can limit the number of people around you. Top floor, end unit, townhomes with two shared walls but nothing else close by.

I rent condo's in a building where I am the only person renting. All the other units are owner occupied. One level units, lifts and on the top floor. I live in another unit down the hall. It does seem to make a difference compared to some apartments I have lived in.

Just an idea.

BTW - The building was built as lofts for the young and trendy. What has happened is the more mature buyers have moved in as they want a second home in the area and a place further south where the sun is more common. Condo living seems to be a good fit for such folks. This also reduces the noise as the owners are not even there a lot of the time. As many units are on one level, people with mobility concerns are happy.

John

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us